4.24.2008

Mark your Calendars


May 30th is the opening for a show where you can see some of my paintings and drawings. There will be new things. The drawing above was based on a photo taken by this guy. None of the pieces in the show will be as good as this. I'll post more details as I get them. Below is an excerpt from my bio for the press release.

bio…..

…..I never made a conscious decision to become an artist, it’s something I’ve always done for as long as I can remember. I take pictures and draw and paint and collage debris and objects as intuitively as possible and I’ve never specialized in anything except making the best art that I can. Real artists don’t have a choice about making art, it’s simply a matter of satisfying an insatiable urgency to create…..

…..I grew up along the east coast, and a little bit in England. I’ve spent a lot of time moving around, and still do; a good change of scenery is always refreshing. I began my academic career in the arts at The Corcoran College of Art where I received my BFA. I then attended The Savannah College of Art and Design for my MFA and I’ve been enjoying a career as a teacher and freelance photographer for the past four years as well as exhibiting my work regularly, winning awards, and lecturing; here and there. Currently I reside in Northern Virginia and when I’m not making art I’m skating or hanging out with Brenna, my Border Collie..

…..my background is in photojournalism and I take a documentary approach to everything I do with my art. I’ve always felt that my most successful work are pieces that develop as a natural extension of existing. Conceptually my work comes from a frantic need to dissect the simulacra of the present moment and to be enveloped as completely as possible in every second of every day…..any
reoccurring themes are simply a byproduct of this artistic process…..

No comments: